Pete Lee

Monday, March 19, 2007

Beach Trip I

This last weekend, I had the pleasure of visiting the beach with my lovely girlfriend and her roommate. Accommodations were courtesy of the roommate's in-laws, and consisted of a rather pimp pad at The Capes near Tillamook, OR.


For reasons I can't explain, I never tire of visiting the Tillamook Cheese Factory. While there are other cheeses in the world that are truly gastronomic treasures (parmigiano reggiano, triple-creams from the Alps), there is something comforting about eating the common-yet-personable cheddar from Tillamook. While thought of as bland by my European acquaintances, I still look forward to the occasional ghetto-style croque monsieur after a long evening of drinking local microbrews. Anyone who has grown up eating relatively flavorless mass-marketed cheese has been robbed.

I also visited the neighboring Blue Heron Cheese Factory. Unlike the vapid conversation overheard from the teenagers serving samples, the brie was creamy and unoffensive--ready for extended aging alluded to by their website. Alsatian it's not, but neither was the reasonable price--with forthcoming rewards from a little time aging in the fridge. I also tasted several fine examples of something you former Oregon residents should be regretting about right now: jam made from Marionberries. Overall, while strange in its kitschyness (the next picture is of some art for sale there), Blue Heron did offer a taste of the 'Keep Oregon Weird' quality that seems to be slowly sanitizing away at its neighbor.


The fresh oysters on-the-half-shell were delicious, but the seafood in nearly all restaurants was overcooked. And, we're talking about $15-20/entree food here. Caveat emptor. That said, I do feel very grateful to have a girlfriend who indulges my need to try every local jerky and sausage shop to-and-from a place.



Next week, I'm off to Newport, OR for a second beach trip with Cynthia, Michael, Herr and Frau Friedrichs, and our new little prince Alexander. With any luck, I'll visit my new favorite brewery.

3 Comments:

  • Welcome back!!! I'm ready to start reading the waxings of Mr. Lee again, so keep them coming! You and your girlfriend are cute together too! Now, Marcus harassing you to write a post seems a little funny since he has been lazing on his. Let's get on him next.

    By Blogger Sarah, at Thursday, March 22, 2007 4:43:00 PM  

  • Right on, the KOREAN returns. I am envious of your recent jaunt to the Oregon coast. That area of the world is so...Oregon. Very comfortable. Actually, the socked-in cloudy/rainy weather is something that I enjoy. Reminds me of grilled cheese sandwich and tomato soup on a rainy day...except now it's the more adult lager and chowder...

    The smell of the sea...

    By Blogger Marcus, at Sunday, March 25, 2007 3:19:00 PM  

  • Maybe I have had Marionberry jam before...

    Check this out:

    Cherry-Habenero jam!

    We use it on the cornmeal crab cakes at the restaurant.

    By Blogger Marcus, at Sunday, April 01, 2007 11:07:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home