Pete Lee

Monday, October 02, 2006

WTF?

No, my site hasn't been hacked. I've changed my template to this retina burning color in support of one very clever initiative. If that doesn't make sense to you, look here.

A couple of thoughts on this:
-Yes, snarky men are right when they say that prostate cancer is similar or greater in prevalence than breast cancer.
That noted, many men actually die with prostate cancer present, but they've succumbed to other things first (like heart disease). Women who get breast cancer tend to get it at a considerably younger age.

-Mammograms are better than a sharp stick in the eye, but...
While discussing medical imaging in my A&P class, a distinct weakness with current mammogram technology came up: imaging that relies on x-rays has inherent weaknesses in the arena of detecting soft tissue masses. A better (and safer) alternative? Ultrasound. Why isn't this point better known? Because they cost more--and I suspect that insurance companies aren't terribly interested in paying for the increased costs of sonography. Sigh.

1 Comments:

  • I reject your reality and substitute my own.

    Hey, isn't that the tagline of Adam from Mythbusters?

    BTW, I have lots of new photos and items for my blog, if I can ever stop traveling for work and then flying for fun to update the damn thing.

    By Blogger Doug, at Monday, October 09, 2006 3:20:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home