Pete Lee

Friday, April 07, 2006

A little prayer for my friends...

I heard this on the news this morning and, much to my shock, I know them.

Angie and Jaime (who is on the left of this photo) are very dear friends of mine. I've known Angie for over four years, and Jaime for two. They are both exceedingly kind souls, and even though it's been a year or so since I hung out with them extensively, I have many excellent memories that they are an integral part of (including Burning Man).

While it sounds like they'll be OK, they were hurt pretty badly, with some broken bones and organ damage. I'm comforted by the fact that they're probably under the expert care of Rose's aunt, a charge nurse at the OHSU ICU, whom I respect tremendously.

You probably don't know them, but please keep them in your thoughts. If you've ever had fun with me, it's because years ago, they helped me learn what fun is like.

3 Comments:

  • My thoughts are with you and them Pete. I hope the drunk driver receives hard consequences, and that your friends are okay. And you are definitely fun to hang out with.

    By Blogger Sarah, at Saturday, April 08, 2006 2:36:00 PM  

  • Ouch. I'm hoping that everyone makes a swift recovery and heals whole.

    Drunk driving strikes again. It's amazing how we as a society tollerate such actions. More people are killed in two months by DWI (3,400) than were killed in the 9/11 attacks (~2,980). How can we accept this?

    ER docs are some of the most mentally tough and cynical people on earth, partially because they see senseless trauma every day. One comment about a patient involved in a DWI accident sticks in my mind: "This was not a random event", meaning that someone chose to create the situation, and someone else paid the price.

    Let's be careful out there.

    By Anonymous pdx_refugee, at Monday, April 10, 2006 9:16:00 AM  

  • Portland seems to have a lot of these drunk-driver to pedestrian types of accidents.

    By Blogger Marcus, at Monday, April 10, 2006 3:37:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home