Pete Lee

Sunday, April 23, 2006

I give up.

After some thought, I decided that paying $12.95/month for TiVo service (plus $100 or so for the "80 hour" box, USB Ethernet adapter and 50' cable) far outweighed the sheer pain of watching horrible television or annoying advertising. I consider the latter to be time stolen from me. And, lets face it, anymore, recording things with your VCR is just a Victorian-era pain-in-the-ass.

Because of my schedule, it's been hard to sit down and watch movies as often as I'd like. And, despite what most snobs say about TV, there are some good shows here and there. Unfortunately for me, some of my most favorite ones air when I'm eating dinner or in school.

After spending several hours buying it, setting it up, and waiting for countless software updates, I've finally got the thing working. Looking back, I wished I would have just bought that TiVo Wireless Networking adapter. I spent just a few too many hours this weekend trying to find one at the store that was compatible (which I didn't), and the wired Ethernet setup worked only after I got a TiVo software update via dial-up. Big tip: if you don't have a landline phone, do this at a friend's house with either the same satellite or cable service and a landline.

What's on my Season Pass Manager now:
1. CSI
2. Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations
3. The Daily Show
4. MythBusters
5. The Office
6. Iron Chef
7. Globe Trekker
8. Good Eats
9. 30-Minute Meals
10. Power Yoga
11. Family Guy
12. American Dad
13. Rick Steves' Europe
14. Cold Case

6 Comments:

  • Battlestar Galactica is also an excellent show. The third season starts this summer. Also, LOST is not on your list.

    By Blogger Marcus, at Sunday, April 23, 2006 2:42:00 PM  

  • "Bee-Boop" says my TiVO.

    My wish list goes something like:

    * Formula 1 Racing (I can't resist. Unlike NASCAR, these guys know how to turn left and right)

    * Doctor Who (I grew up on the "original" show)

    * Mythbusters (questions that engineers always want to answer)

    * Battlestar Galactica (yes, it sounds cheezy. It's good. You should watch it.)

    * Daily Show (only keeps 2 - I rarely have time to watch)

    * South Park (ditto)

    And Pete, it's about time you got a TiVO - you were the one who introduced me to the Goodness that is the DirecTiVO with the two integrated tunders only, what, about 4 years ago?

    By Anonymous pdx_refugee, at Sunday, April 23, 2006 5:09:00 PM  

  • Who is pdx_refugee and why doesn't he have a blog? The guy always has something interesting to say.

    Oh, and Justin has a Tivo box, but it isn't hooked up, so I get pissed because I never have time/forget to watch The Office and Scrubs. Sigh, I guess I will just wait for the DVDs.

    By Blogger Sarah, at Thursday, April 27, 2006 1:21:00 PM  

  • Blog? Who, me?

    I've actually thought a lot about this question lately. I'm not entirely sure - I've enjoyed being part of APAs in the past. I suppose the major reasons are:

    (1) Finding the time on a routine basis is tough. Pete can attest to my work schedule.

    (2) I'm not really sure that my life is interesting enough for anyone to want to read about it. Maybe this is just me being cranky today. See #1

    (3) Hooking up with a community of like-minded people is always hard for me. It's particularly hard here in Dallas (Portland to Dallas - the culture shock was awful).

    But perhaps blogging is a way to solve #1 (make it part of your routine; this helps you relax for a few moments each day and get away from work) and #3 (leave it to Pete to help me out here, social Nexus that he is).

    Thanks for asking. Perhaps I'll start.

    By Anonymous pdx_refugee, at Friday, April 28, 2006 11:53:00 AM  

  • Hey, did you mean to say you are giving up on your blog? Where is a new post man?

    By Blogger Sarah, at Sunday, May 07, 2006 11:42:00 AM  

  • Oh and pdx_refugee...PLEASE start a blog. I will bookmark it on my site and read it all the time. Cave!

    By Blogger Sarah, at Sunday, May 07, 2006 11:43:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home