Pete Lee

Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Buenos suerte!

Well, I got some bad news from my mechanic today. The Volvo wagon I've grown to know and love has some serious mechanical problems. But, much like the family dog with an expensive disease, I'm opting to spend a little more money than I normally would to get it fixed. He looked at me askance for even considering it, but hey, it's my car and my (soon-to-be-his) money. Unfortunately, it's going to take him longer than he originally thought (the three man shop has about twelve cars parked in it). Hard to go wrong with Dan's Automotive though (run by a Vietnamese guy named Hai). Honest, fast, and always giving me cheaper options, or telling me that other mechanics were wrong about the need for expensive repairs to my car.

However, that was not nearly as scary as the Radio Cab ride to work downtown. I told him, get me downtown cheaply and quickly. I wasn't careful with what I wished for, and I got it: my friendly driver, born and raised in Mexico City, cut off almost every car we drove by and nearly caused a couple of accidents. My favorite moment: seeing the grille of a Ford truck rocketing toward me, and then stopping about two feet away from my window.

I couldn't sign that Visa receipt and get out of that cab fast enough.

2 Comments:

  • Keep that Volvo alive!! Is this the shop over off Belmont and 11th? The one with like 20 Volvo wagons parked in front of it at all times?

    By Blogger Marcus, at Tuesday, April 11, 2006 2:19:00 PM  

  • Yikes. Cuckoo the Audi needed about $2k worth of work done recently. You know, simple things like tie rods wearing - if they fail, the front wheels will turn all the way to the right of left instantly - 50% chance for which direction (turns out all "B5" chassis audis have this problem). I sucked it up because I'm not ready to drop $25k on a new car.

    Get it fixed. Your car has charisma. And think about how much work it would be to move out of it!

    And for me, my "OMG am I really going to bite it in a CAB?" moment was a shuttle ride from Orange County airport to my hotel near LAX (I had missed my flight earlier, came in late and missed my co-workers who were going to pick me up).

    I guess the best thing I can say is that I didn't die. 90+ MPH in a 15 passenger van down "the" 405 is enough to make anyone ponder their mortality.

    By Anonymous pdx_refugee, at Wednesday, April 12, 2006 10:59:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home