Pete Lee

Wednesday, October 12, 2005

New Codephrase For Today

One example of community improvement through technology is the Wireless AMBER Alert. Based on the area code of your phone, this system will send AMBER alerts to your phone when one is announced in your area. Set up in conjunction with cell phone carriers and the CTIA, an international cellular consortium, it greatly extends the AMBER Alert effectiveness beyond the previous Emergency Alert System, which is where I see most AMBER alerts.

On that note, a funny story: a few nights ago, Rose pointed out the fact that a police car had its lights on in our generally sleepy, slightly-more-affluent neighborhood, notable for it's nearly complete lack of black people. I informed her that an Umber Alert must have went out. She thought it was funny. I didn't see a mention for it in the Urban Dictionary or in Google, so I'm claiming the phrase-coining rights.

Portland isn't exactly the diverse town it's residents envision it to be (if you want diverse, try San Francisco or New York). Seriously, while living in Beaverton, I've more-or-less have had women in bars tell me that they thought I was cool, but "asian guys" weren't their type (the usual caveat about expecting to meet a huge pool of decent people applies here, but I digress). Fine (people should have choice) but after several years of hearing this regularly in the 'burbs, the "asian guy" thing got tiresome. I'll move back to the 'burbs the moment I declare celibacy, believe you me.

Count how many minorities live in "progressive, liberal" neighborhoods like Hawthorne and Belmont for another example of what I'm getting at here.

3 Comments:

  • Pete, it's interesting that you've gotten the thumbs down that way. I really don't think of you as asian - in many ways, you're more American than I am (must be the NoPo upbringing for you, brother).

    As the saying goes, love see no color. Hook-ups must be different. ;-)

    By Anonymous pdx_refugee, at Monday, October 17, 2005 9:36:00 AM  

  • True dat. You are the most "non-Asian" Asian that I know. I think that you were meant to be the Asian representation in the Rat Pack...but born 50 years too late.

    By Blogger Marcus, at Tuesday, October 18, 2005 11:43:00 AM  

  • Sometimes I see minorities on Belmont. They are easy to spot, they're the ones wearing Old Navy, not talking to the voices in their heads.

    I hear that tourist come to Portland to see white people in their natural environment.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Tuesday, December 20, 2005 12:37:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home