Pete Lee

Friday, July 29, 2005

The Week in Review

Well folks, I apologize if it seems I've been off the planet. It's been a very busy and tiring week...

Recovering from Phoenix Festival. I've spent most of the week doing this. In addition to being tired from doing volunteer EMT work during the day, I spent about five hours on Monday helping take down my friend's theme camp, Novatron Lounge (that photo does require some explanation--just not today). During the course of doing so, I got very badly sunburned on my back. PHOOEY! I should have known better, especially with direct sun at 3000 feet. I really am ashamed of myself sometimes.

I'm now a kept man. It's official: I've inked a 12 month+ contract to be a Business Systems Analyst for Regence Blue Cross/Blue Shield. Unfortunately, that has also meant that I spend a lot of time driving all over god's creation trying to figure out where FedEx has put my paperwork. I've spent many sweaty hours this week filling out forms, faxing, doing a whiz quiz at Quest Diagnostics, and getting everything shipped back via FedEx to Seattle. I would bitch, but the job pays pretty well, and the people are super nice. I'm praying that this isn't a torturous stress fest during the first month, as things there are quite busy.

Madame Butterfly closes. A truly sad, sad thing. From the first time I met their staff about four years ago, I've had many good times and hung out with many great people here. All kinds of interesting music and the occasional famous person (Elvis Costello, Gov. Kitzhaber, Junki Yoshida). The almost two-year long Wednesday karaoke tradition is now dead. I'll be sad to hoist my final martini on Sunday evening. Like many good things, this too must pass.

Other than that--I'm just really pooped. The weather here has been quite hot. I have friends from other states who regularly respond, "You guys ain't got shit. It's blahblah degrees here." Hate to break it to you, but Portland is simply not equipped to deal with this kind of hotness. Most houses here do NOT have air conditioning (nor does my car), and many of my favorite small restaurants and cafes are struggling to stay cool. The outside weather matters not when you're living and working a sybaritic existence with refrigerated air...

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home