Pete Lee

Thursday, July 21, 2005

Miscellanea

Well, Sarah may have beaten me to the punch, but I've been very busy indeed.

Looking, looking, looking... DING! We may have a winner, and it might just be me: I finally got a job interview yesterday! It started off slow: I had just run down five flights of stairs to get there on time, in a dark suit, and as a result, I was sweating like a whore in church during the first 15 minutes. I thought, "this absolutely cannot look good." The astute project manager that was grilling me asked some tough questions, and I had to struggle to come up with an answer that I thought would be appropriate. After a terrifying start, I began to find the zen of the experience, and acquired flow and focus. The interview ended on a strong note, but the 'first impressions' situation really made me wonder what would happen.

Two hours later, my recruiter called to tell me that the hiring manager was really impressed--and that if they didn't hire me for this role, he was strongly considering creating another job opening specific to my background! The job I interviewed for is much more analytical, involves very little engineering work, and provides an increased level of human interaction that I've been craving. If I get this job, my office will only be a mile-and-a-half away from my house, AND it's only a few blocks away from the Pilsner Room, where my friend Marcus works. I just can't lose! Keep your fingers crossed for me...

I've got to keep this brief because I'm very busy getting ready for volunteer EMT work at Phoenix Fest this weekend. If you want to combine some car camping with great music, friendly people, and cool art, come on up!

N.B. On NPR, I just heard a white interviewer on "The World" ask an old lady why someone would want to "get up in someone's grill"? I have no idea what they're prattling about, but that got my attention. Apparently, the Terry Gross interview with Dave Chappelle got everyone Hooked on Ebonics(TM). I'm Riiiiich Biiiiiich!

3 Comments:

  • Good job man. Bout time you wrote again. I'll put in a good word to the employment gods for you and if you get it, I'll buy you a drink next week when we finally meet up.

    By Blogger Sarah, at Thursday, July 21, 2005 6:25:00 PM  

  • I heard tha NPR interview too and was really confused about the choice of language. After all, this was (wait for it) Fressssshhhh Aiiiirrrrrrr (but without Terry Gross for once).

    The woman being interviewed was none other than Helen Thomas, "The First Lady of the Press", long time white house correspondent. She's known for getting, well, in the grill of White House spokesmen over their stupidity, not to mention the Chief Executive himself.

    The comment they were referring to was her asking White House Lackey Scott McClellan (sp?) about why, for years, Bush and Co. said that anyone involved in the Valerie Plame leak would be fired, but not that it appears that Carl Rove was involved, the White House suddenly can't comment on the situation. The woman has balls.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helen_Thomas

    And, bro, congrats on the interview. Sounds like a good gig. Any chance you can score some similar pimpness for your cracker brother? (and is this the same dark suit worn by "The Korean" in Blue Star?)

    By Anonymous PDX_refugee, at Friday, July 22, 2005 7:57:00 AM  

  • Good luck. Just think, you can stop in at McCormick's for happy hour after you get off work. Missed you in AK this week. Good times. All the AK peeps says "hey".

    By Blogger Marcus, at Sunday, July 24, 2005 5:54:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home