Pete Lee

Monday, June 27, 2005

SH*T! F*CK! CHENEY!

Damnit, one of my worst nightmares is coming true: I may very well have a head gasket leak on my 1983 Volvo wagon. Apparently, oil is "pouring out like a faucet" from the top part of my engine at high RPMs. According to several web sites, if a little doo-dad called a flame trap is not checked, cleaned and/or replaced regularly (as in every oil change), oil leaks start happening. Considering that the previous mechanic was likely a complete dolt, and the Inge's got 200K miles on her, well, you do the math. The increased pressure in the engine could also mean (dum-da-dum) a blown head gasket. Be grateful: when I scream in the blogosphere, nobody can hear it.

This sounds like a boat payment ($500) to my mechanic. I'll be recommending a Boston Whaler to him.

3 Comments:

  • Damn, my brother in law bought a WHOLE Volvo wagon off eBay for $1500 man...get stubborn and do some side shopping first. Maybe you can score the part for less. Of course, I know NOTHING about cars, so this is really just my way of saying sh*t! f*ck!, that sucks. But maybe it'll help.

    By Blogger Sarah, at Monday, June 27, 2005 6:46:00 PM  

  • Well, I purchased this vehicle for $800 from my friend's dad. It had 200K miles on it, but was, overall, in pretty decent condition. Most of what I've had to do with the car is stuff that would have to be done with any car.

    Trust me, I'm toying with the idea of getting another car, although... (see the next article)

    By Blogger PeteLee, at Monday, June 27, 2005 10:58:00 PM  

  • That's an expensive little problem, especially for the older foreign/Euro rigs like yours. The same situation with an older Audi sedan that I owned forced me to get rid of it directly.

    By Blogger Marcus, at Wednesday, June 29, 2005 11:38:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home