Pete Lee

Monday, May 02, 2005

If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it's a pig.

I love animals. As a kid, I enjoyed riding llamas. As a college student, I helped train dogs. And, as a busy adult, I enjoy the company of melodic and sociable finches. At my house a short walk from downtown Portland, we have egg-producing chickens. I especially love tasty animals, including the epicurean delights of Wagyu-strain beef, Oregon dungeness crab renowned for its delicate flavor and sweetness, and wild salmon raised in Oregon and Alaska.

However, I found the entire saga of the Treasury ducks just a bit troubling. Honestly, folks, aren't ethical problems regarding my former employer, apparent lack of understanding about Social Security, and our current "three hour tour" of Iraq worthy of more attention from the American public?

With those items on the agenda, it's nice to know that we've got our priorities straight. No less than three federal agencies (including the Secret Service) worked together to ensure that a bunch of ducks had A-list security and treatment at the White House. Those ducks are obviously the envy of average citizens in Baghdad who wonder if their morning commute justifies life insurance. Americans may love bacon, but how much more pork do we want in our politics?

That thought should ruffle some feathers.

1 Comments:

  • Fantastic! This makes me glad my tax dollars go to the Republic of Korea this year. I have no idea what that entails, but I'm sure there'll be a demonstration about it.

    By Blogger Pilar Cruz, at Monday, May 02, 2005 10:38:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home