Pete Lee

Monday, April 18, 2005

Morrissey & Butter

I'm curious: is it required that one be very depressed and frustrated about something to develop an appreciation for Morrissey?

I've generally thought that Morrissey was a good musician (along with Johnny Marr and the rest of those cats from The Smiths days), but thought he was too whiny. My typicial summary of the subject matter of most Morrissey songs was "I'm so happy I could kill myself," sung mostly in minor keys.

However, I heard "I Have Forgiven Jesus" while strugging to wrap my mind around lipid structure (tryglycerides, cis- and trans- fatty acids, saturation, etc.) and metabolism for a Nutrition exam I have this week. This level of frustration is a culmination of a few things: being sick for several days, having my wallet stolen, 55+ hour work weeks, not having had a weekend off in three weeks. Somehow, the Morrissey song expressed my sentiments in spades.

Therefore, I've learned two things:
* Much to my horror, I'm developing a taste for Morrissey.
* The road to hell is paved with butter.

3 Comments:

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger Marcus, at Monday, April 18, 2005 11:11:00 AM  

  • "I was happy in the haze of a drunken hour, but heaven knows I'm miserable now. I was looking for a job, and know I found a job. In my life, why do I give valuable time to people who I'd much rather kick in the eye."

    I have to admit, I'm a Smiths fan as well. He is a whiner, though. Also, using the words "Morrissey" and "butter" in the same sentence inevitably leads to perverse mental imagery.

    By Blogger Marcus, at Monday, April 18, 2005 11:12:00 AM  

  • Hey, if you are looking for happy Morrissey, listen to 'Tomorrow.' It is one of his happiest and most upbeat tunes. He's a dramatic dude, but enjoyable nonetheless.

    By Blogger Sarah, at Monday, April 18, 2005 8:31:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home