Pete Lee

Friday, March 25, 2005

Movie Time

This has been a week of ups and downs:

UP: At the end of finals week, putting in what felt like hellishly Herculean efforts paid off: I received an A in both my Technical Writing and Sociology classes.

DOWN: Both of my finches died without warning. I thought there was enough food in the cage, but I discovered that they sure as hell didn't like the "finch food bar" I left in there for them.

DOWN: Just in time for spring break, work has become extremely difficult. It's been stressful trying to shake out problems in a new product that my company is releasing. Getting everything tested to the standards of my company's reputation is an arduous process. (It's fun, however, to freeze (-20 C) and bake (+70 C--about 149 degrees F) a piece of network hardware in the course of an hour. Now that I think about it, this environmental chamber (5x5x5 foot) would be a fantastic keg cooler...

UP: I've had a chance to catch up on one of my favorite pursuits: cinema. A brief synopsis:

Bad Education: Another incredible movie by Pedro Almodovar. True to my previous experiences with Almodovar's work, the experiences of the characters in this movie draw you in, and challenge you intellectually and emotionally. I do, however, still prefer Talk To Her, one of the most beautiful moves ever committed to celluloid. It's also the only movie I've ever watched to lead me on a "conscience journey" that ended in sheer guilt for judging one of the characters. Watch "Talk To Hear" to see what I mean. (N.B. This movie is in Spanish with subtitles.)

Two other movies I'm interested in:
The Ballad of Jack and Rose: Terry Gross interviewed Arthur Miller's daughter (who wrote the screenplay) yesterday on Fresh Air, and I must say, it was impressive to hear her basis for this movie.

Up and Down: Favorably reviewed by one of my preferred critics (David Walker of the Willamette Week). I'll get to combine nostalgia for the Prague trip I took with Jonathan (see Links on the right side) with a love of indie film. The name is mellifluous ("Horem pádem"), and the movie is in a combination of Czech, English, German and Russian.

4 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home